Sunday, April 29, 2018

Thorough Clean Up Job

During the morning ride before cleaning
Washed my bike for the first time. A complete and thorough kind of job. My bike is just about 700 km old and needed a cleaning for some time. Since this was the first time, I did it carefully and perhaps it took me a little more time than it should when I get more practice. Today I had gone on a 3-hour ride around New Town (went in through VIP and came back through Rajarhat)

Here I will write down what I did step by step. You may or may not agree with everything that I did. Your call. But I am going to write down my way with notes on what I should have done. 

Doing a somersault 
Step one - Took off all the accessories from the bike like the Cat Eye Velo (only the display unit), the saddle bag and Night Rider headlight etc. Next I took off both the wheels and kept the bike upside down (some newspaper for cushion under the seat and hoods). Next step was to prepare a bucket full of water with some Surf Excel :-) . I think it is time I invested in a car shampoo instead of stealing the home supply for washing clothes.

The cleaned and dried wheels
Took the wheels inside the bathroom and sprayed first with plain water from a jet (all modern Indian bathrooms have this). Cleaned the wheels with the sponge dipped in foamy water from the bucket. Cleaned the cassette (it is possibly a flywheel - will have to check) with an old tooth brush dipped in the soapy water. Once thoroughly cleaned sprayed plain water once again from the jet. Dried the wheels up with a clean, dry cloth. 

Next I spread a thin sheet of foam on the floor of the bathroom and let the wheel-less bike sit on it - upside down. This is the kind of foam that we take along on treks to use as a mattress in the camp to sleep on. Followed the same principle. Gentle jet of water first followed by soapy water. Used the brush also for the stubborn mud stains. Cleaned the chain. Didn't disturb the derailleur much. 

Again dried more or less thoroughly with the same cloth. I must add here that since I have hardly ever taken it on wet roads there was virtually not much mud stains on it. So I did not take too long for a nice shiny look. 

Finally put the wheels back on in the drawing room. Sprayed the chain with some lube and cleaned it off with a dry rag. I am guilty of using Motul chain lubricant which is basically meant for motorcycles. Motorcycle chain lubes would be a little thicker. So theoretically it will not enter all the nooks and cranny of the chain. I think while technically it is correct it is a needless concern. 

The job is done




No comments:

Post a Comment